What is IUI
IUI is a painless process in which processed semen is injected in the cavity of the uterus around the time of ovulation (i.e. rupture of follicle and release of the egg from the follicle).
Aims OF IUI & Follicular Monitoring
- By passing the cervical barrier.
- To deposit good quality & quantity of sperms in the uterine cavity.
- To identify the ovulation timing.
Prerequisites of IUI
- Ovulating female i.e. presence of eggs in the ovaries (patient aged more than 35years should check their ovarian reserve before IUI by means of hormonal test i.e. AMH).
- At least one patent Fallopian Tube (checked either by HSG or Laparoscopy).
- Semen sample should contain sufficient numbers of good quality sperms. Check sperm yield & morphology percentage in semen analysis report.
- Ideal sperm yield for IUI is 5 x 106 or more
- Minimum sperm yield at which IUI can be tried is 2x106
- Minimum normal sperm should be 4%.
Who can go for IUI (Indications) ?
- Patient with Ovulatory Dysfunction e.g. PCOS
- Patient with mild Endometriosis
- Patient with Unconsummated Marriage.
- Immunological Abnormalities.
- Patient with decreased sperm count.
- Patient with ejaculatory dysfunctions.
- Unexplained Infertility
What is Ovulation Induction (OI)?
When medications are given to produce eggs, it is called Ovulation Induction. In modern infertility management IUI cycles are mostly done with OI.
Usually oral drugs like Clomophine Citrate(C.C.) or Letrozole alone or along with some other drugs is used for OI. But in some patients your doctor might choose to give you few hormone injections too.
How is IUI done?
Your doctor initially gives you medications for OI for egg formation. Then the female partner only has to come on Day 9 or Day 10 of mensuration (periods) for Follicular study (FS). FS is the assessment of growth of egg by Transvaginal Sonography (TVS). Once the egg is matured, one injection (hCG10000 i.u) is given for the egg to come out of the ovary (Ovulation). IUI proper is done, 24 hours and 40 hours after injection. Sperms are put inside the uterus using a soft non-traumatic cannula. The whole process is very simple and not painful. Sometime your doctor may decide to do single IUI, at around 36 hours after injection.
What are the chances of Pregnancy with IUI?
Pregnancy rates following an IUI depends on the indications of IUI. Best results are obtained in patients with unexplained infertility, ovulatory dysfunction, unconsummated marriage or patients with ejaculatory dysfunction. In these cases pregnancy rate per cycle can go up to 15-20%. In other words almost 70-80% couples can expect pregnancy in 6 cycles of IUI. In patients with endometriosis or decreases sperm count pregnancy rate decreases, depending upon the severity of the disease.
How much IUI cost
IUI is basically low cost, effective therapy. IHR offers a package which includes all the Sonography in that cycle required for monitoring the egg growth (Follicular Study), Semen processing, IUI disposables such as media & cannula and insemination by Doctor in uterine cavity.
Patients have to purchase all the medications, used separately during the cycles. The total cost of IUI including medications is usually less than Rs. 10,000/- per cycle. But in case injectable hormones have to be used (e.g. in Poor responders) then the cost may increase.
How long the couple has to stay
Usually the presence of female partner is required from Day 9 or Day 10 of mensuration for 4-5 days. Those who have irregular cycles, may have to stay longer. During this period Follicular Study (FS) is done. The male partner is required only for last 2 days for providing the semen sample.
Whether hospitalization or rest required during or after procedure
No hospitalization or rest is required during or after the procedure. The whole procedure is very simple and painless. The female partner has to stay at OPD for two to three hours during the days of FS. On the days when insemination is done, the female partner may have to stay at OPD for 3-4 hours. On the days of insemination the male partner can just give semen and go back after insemination, she will take rest on the IUI table for 15 minutes only. No rest is required after finishing the process. The female
partner can do routine household or office work, can travel, can go to work or practically can do all the activities which she is used to do.