What should you look for in any IVF clinic before choosing it?
- How old is infertility management center? ( the hospital may be very old but may have started infertility clinic recently). The level of experience that a fertility clinic has is very important.The longer a clinic has been in business, the better the facility likely is because it has been around long enough to have been proven credible.
- How much experience the doctor has in treating infertility (very important, a very senior O&G practitioner may have very little experience of infertility management and vice versa. A young practitioner may have specialized his career in infertility management only).
- Does the clinician keep himself update or only relying on outdated knowledge (a detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV)should be examined and his/her training & involvement in academic activity should be noted ).
- Qualification of Embryologist: Embryologist is the backbone in any infertility center. Fifty percent success depends on skill of embryologist. Embryologist must be properly qualified i.e M.Sc (Embryology) in human embryology. Many IVF centers using Veterinary Doctors, Microbiologist, Pathologist or Laboratory Technician who are not trained for the purpose. As a result the desired success cannot be achieved.
- Inhouse Embryologist: Inhouse embryologist is a must for any good IVF center. Inhouse embryologist gives an edge over visiting embryologist to IVF set up. A visiting embryologist may be highly qualified, but there are things which are always beyond the control of a visiting embryologist. A visiting embryologist is always in hurry to go back, which forces clinician to do 4-5 or even more number of IVF cases (ovum pick up)on the same day. This put lots of pressure on Incubator and embryologist. A visiting embryologist does not know how the lab equipments are maintained in his absence.
- What culture system they are using: important things are Triple gas incubator, microdrop culture, sequential media, Blastocyst transfer.
- How long have the doctors and technicians been there? High staff turnover can be a sign of bad management and can contribute to mistakes.
- Ask if the clinic offers psychological counseling: Fertility treatments can be extremely stressful for couples. It can be very helpful if a clinic has own Psychological counselor to help you find some stress coping techniques during this difficult times.
In simple words, you should look for an experienced infertility specialist and an infertility clinic with advanced technology and inhouse qualified embryologist.
Below are the few reasons which will convince you why Institute of Human Reproduction (IHR) is your first and natural choice.
- Our vast experience:
IHR started infertility & endoscopy management in early, when this whole science was very much in infantile stage around the world. This makes Institute of Human Reproduction (IHR) the pioneer in infertility & endoscopy management.
It started IUI in Azoospermic patients using Donor semen.
Started Diagnostic Laparoscopy
Started Diagnostic Hysteroscopy
Started Microsurgery in Reproduction.
It delivered first SIFT (Semen Intra Fallopian Transfer) Baby of N.E. India.
It delivered the first GIFT (Gamete Intra Fallopian Transfer) Baby of N.E. India
It became the First IVF-ET (Test Tube Baby) center of N.E. India.
Delivered First ICSI Test Tube Baby of N.E. India.
Achieved First TESE-ICSI pregnancy in N.E. India.
Opened first Semen Bank of Eastern India.
Started LASER Assisted Hatching
- Our advanced technology: (See our lab profile)
- Class 10000 laboratory
- Lab air purified by HEPA filter
- VOCs removed by CODA
- Class 100 air in incubator
- Triple gas incubator
- Microdrop culture system
- Use of sequential media
- Regular calibration of all equipments
- Assisted hatching by Saturn Active etc, etc
- Inhouse embryologist: Inhouse embryologist gives an edge over visiting embryologist to any IVF setup. A visiting embryologist may a highly qualified, but there are things which are always beyond the control of a visiting embryologist. A visiting embryologist is always in hurry to back, which forces the clinicians to do 4-5 or even more number of IVFs (ovum pickup) on the same day. This put lots of pressure on Incubator and embryologist. As a result pregnancy rate cannot reach as per desired. A visiting embryologist doesn’t know how the lab and lab equipments are maintained in his absence.
- We understand that only hi-tech equipements and machines are not sufficient. We know that man behind the machine is more important. To keep ourself update we interact with the other scientists round the world on a regular basis (see Bio-data). We also believe that teaching is the best way of learning. Our training programme is a part of this belief (See IHR training programme)
- Our consistent high success rate: IVF is one area where science and life come into intimate contact. At IHR, with latest IVF technology and due to careful attention to our patients, we are achieving results that are world standard. The average clinical pregnancy rate per embryo transfer (E.T.) is 50-60%. See chart given below.